Monday, July 28, 2008

My Favorite Pictures of Summer #6


I love jellyfish! I am fascinated by them, they way they move, the elegant beauty of them, I can just watch them for hours. So why the jellyfish picture, on Friday I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was beautiful over in Monterey, CA, a perfect 68 degrees, the smell of the ocean, the taste of the Clam Chowder, it was the right escape from the Central Valley heat.

This is something to laugh at. While staring at the jellyfish on Friday, my geological side of me kicked in and thought how many jellyfish have been preserved in the rock record? Are there jellyfish relatives preserved in the Burgess Shale? I need to research the topic. I think I just laughed out loud to myself, are we as geologists obsessed about geology. I sure hope not!

Another one of my favorite things at the aquarium is the Giant Kelp Forest tank. I had never been there when a diver was down in the tank. It was neat but I didn't get a good photo of the diver because there was too many people in the vicinity.

No comments: