Friday, July 18, 2008

My Favorite Pictures of the Summer #3



The Spruce Tree House at Mesa Verde National Park.

Is anyone getting the theme that all of my pictures are taking place in the southwest? So far that is true, I went on a two week excursion in June studying about geology and anthropology of the Colorado Plateau/Southwest. Previous to this summer I had only had been to places like Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, and the Grand Canyon.

I was very excited to go this summer, because we went to places like Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Goblin Valley State Park, Capitol Reef NP, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Colorado NM, plus the usual suspects like Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, and the Grand Canyon, but to the north rim instead. The north rim is my choice from now on, less people, more trees, and campgrounds on the rim. The anthropology part of the trip was also incredible, we learned about the Hopi and Navajo tribes and visited a alot of different ruins to learn about their culture. I even got to buy a Kachina doll on the Hopi Reservation. We also visited Mesa Verde NP, Navajo NM, Hovenweep NM, and drove by Monument Valley, but one of my most favorite things we did was the full moon hike at Canyon de Chelly NM.

That was only some of the places we visited, but my recommendation is if you get the chance to go on a big trip like this, go for it, there are so many life changing experiences.

Back to the picture, this is the Spruce Tree House, we got a special tour by the main archaeologist of the park. He gave us a tour that included the in's and the out's of the Spruce Tree House. What I can say is that I didn't spend the 1 hour to 1 and half hours listening to him talk, I was taking pictures from every different angle possible. I easily took over 100 pictures in that time span. I had always wanted to go to Mesa Verde, especially since I read the third book in Anna Pigeon series, called "Ill Wind" by Nevada Barr. I would love to go back and explore the other cliff dwellings.

No comments: