Saturday, August 16, 2008

A quick excursion in the Coast Range

What geologic process formed the rocks in the picture?

Well, if you answered turbidites, you would be right. So why do I mention turbidites?

On Friday, my friend and I decided that we wanted to go on a road trip. We decided on a trip to the northern Coast Range through the Capay Valley, where some turbidites can be found. Then we went west to Clear Lake and Ukiah, where we ate lunch at a cute Mexican restaurant in downtown. The food was great and reasonably priced. It was afternoon by the time my son finished his lunch; he was having too much fun smushing french fries. Maybe he was just working on how an accretionary wedge forms during subduction. We realized we were a far way from Sacramento, so we headed south to Highway 128. It was a very beautiful drive through Calistoga, St Helena, etc. Of course, we talked about geology, as we passed fairly close to "The Geysers", where lots of small earthquakes occur and geothermal activity is present. We also passed Lake Berryessa, which both of us had stopped at for field camp. We never hit any traffic until we got to Davis, all those bay area people trying to escape the city. To end our marathon drive, we went shopping at the IKEA in West Sacramento. In 11 hours I drove something like 400 miles and did exactly what I wanted to. I had a great time with my son and friend.

A typical outcrop picture for the Coast Ranges. The Great Valley Group is just not stable!

No comments: