Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Arch Collapse

I noticed on my yahoo homepage that an arch had collapsed at Arches National Park sometime during the night of August 4. My curiosity wondered which arch it was, considering I was there over a month ago and had a wonderful time.

Well, it was Wall Arch located on the Devils Garden Trail. When I hiked this trail, I stopped at Landscape Arch since we had limited time, so I did not ever get the chance to see this arch. I can be saddened by this, but as geologist I know some other beautiful arch is forming in the park right now.

I very much appreciate the time I was at Arches and I am experiencing it all over again reading Desert Solitaire. It was a place I had always wanted to go and I was awe stuck by the beauty of the arches. Only to be Edward Abbey back then and have the entire park to yourself and free to roam anywhere. I can not wait for the moment that I can take my son to a place like Arches and the rest of the Southwest, which I hope is much sooner in his life than later.

If you want more info on the arch collapse, here is the link to the NPS website for Arches. http://www.nps.gov/arch/parknews/news080808.htm

No comments: