Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Field Work #2

The Kohm-Yah-mah-nee Visitor Center opened in October 2008. It is a beautiful new building that replaced the Lassen Chalet. The building is of green construction like recycled glass counters and low flush toilets. The geology exhibits are well done. My favorites are trying to make a earthquake and of course anything on the Chaos Crags.

Continuing from my last entry, it was all clouds and rain, the entire weekend. I know there is a 10,000 ft volcano somewhere!


Oh, I forgot snow to add to the rain and clouds, the main park road had just opened the night before I got to Lassen, you might recognize this as the trail head to Lassen Peak. I am not even that crazy to attempt that!


This was the best view of Lassen Peak all weekend! The picture was taken to the east, looking back west at the plug dome.



Wonderful snowflowers to entire this trip. My next trip was in July.

4 comments:

Silver Fox said...

A great place to do field work, but maybe not in June! I'll have to check out the new visitor center sometime. Looks nice.

Environment and Geology said...

Very nice photographs

Rodney said...

Hi. Great blog: keep it up if you can. I'm not a geologist, I just love rocks. Grew up in the shadows of El Capitan and Half-dome, and studied at U of Mont., with Alt and Hydeman (the Roadside geology of... series.] Now living near Glacier Nat'l Park. I discovered your site on Stumbleupon, and gave it a thumbs up. I too have a Blogger site: http://livinginmontana.blogspot.com/
I don't post much, but feel free to backlink if you like it. Thanks

Crystallizations said...

Thanks for the complement. I visited Glacier National Park back in 2006 for a few days. I have wanting to go back since. I consider you lucky to be living near such a beautiful and spiritual place. I feel the same about Yosemite. You have an awesome opening picture. I will be delighted to backlink you. I would also post more, but juggling teaching, finishing my thesis and family is a challenge.