Friday, December 12, 2008

The semester is over, but........


Well, I finished my advanced volcanology class last night, woohoo! Now, I have to patiently wait for my grades on my term paper and overall class. I also met with my advisor this morning since I wouldn't see her until after the new year. At this point in my graduate learning, I have completed some research, but mostly focused on taking classes and teaching. That is no longer the case, my six week vacation has now been determined for me. I must complete numerous research related items before school starts again on Jan 26. I know most of my days during this time will be spent tracing plagioclase like in the above picture and computer work involving the CSDCorrections program by Michael Higgins. This textural analysis program is downloadable for free at http://wwwdsa.uqac.ca/~mhiggins/home.html.

But first things first, I have a very large Christmas tree to decorate and then it is on to outlining!

2 comments:

Silver Fox said...

Neat photomicrograph. Lots to do over the "holidays." Glad you get time to decorate, though! Don't know if I'll do that this year.

Lockwood said...

If only Christmas ornaments could be as pretty as basalt in thin section... sigh. I generally don't decorate, but my family's coming to Oregon for Christmas and we'll be staying in some very pretty volcanic country near Bend. Expect to post on that soon.