Saturday, December 6, 2008

Out of the fog

In my last entry, I was wanting to get out of the Central Valley fog and look for a sunny location. So I took a road trip to Yosemite on Thursday with my husband. The first picture is some mima mounds located near Snelling. Snelling is along the Merced River and I would say the dredge piles outnumber the people in town.

The next picture is along a road I have always wanted to take, but never did. The road climbs Mt. Bullion near Mariposa CA, is unmarked with many potholes and has some nice greenstone outcrops. In my mind, the best kind of road to take. It was also on this road that the sun was no longer hidden by fog.

This is the Merced River Canyon and Highway 140. Where I live, it is about the same amount of time to take Highway 120 or Highway 140 to Yosemite, but the difference is the scenery along each. Highway 140 follows the Merced River to Yosemite Valley.

This is the slate that lines the canyon, I believe it is part of the shoo fly complex (~500 mya)

No comments: