Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Change can begin now

This afternoon when I casted my vote, it was for the winning candidate and I can say I am happy about that! My polling place only had a short line when I went to vote, but I voted around 10:30AM. I was taking a break from my massive stack of journal articles I have been reading. I have a first draft of a paper in my advanced volcanology class due in a little over a week. Luckily my topic is about some work I have completed so far for my masters thesis. That is were the luck stops, because I have some sections of the paper completed, but other sections need to be vastly improved, so that's were the big stack of papers rears its ugly head! All of the papers I have read in the last three days are on magma mixing and enclaves. I still probably have several more days of reading with a equally large stack of crystal size distribution papers to get through. So I am defiantly going to be busy the next week or so, woohoo!

Here is a sampling of some of the papers I have read. My list could be much longer, but I don't want to bore you.

Bacon, C.R., 1986, Magmatic Inclusions in Silicic and Intermediate Volcanic Rocks: Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 91, p. 6091-6112.

Browne, B.L., J.C. Eichelberger, L.A. Patino, T.A. Vogel, J. Dehn., K. Uto, and H. Hoshizumi, 2006, Generation of Porphyritic and Equigranular Mafic Enclaves during Magma Recharge Events at Unzen Volcano, Japan: Journal of Petrology, v. 47, p. 301-38.

Eichelberger, J.C., 1980, Vesiculation of mafic magma during replenishment of silicic magma reservoirs: Nature, v. 288, p. 446-450.

Koyaguchi, T., 1985, Magma mixing in a conduit: Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, v 25, p. 365-369.

Martin, V.M, D.M. Pyle, and M.B. Holness, 2006, The role of crystal frameworks in the preservation of Enclaves during magma mixing: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 248, p. 787-799.

Sparks, R.S.J., H. Sigurdsson, and L. Wilson, 1977, Magma mixing-a mechanism for triggering acid explosive eruptions: Nature, v. 267, p. 315-318.

No comments: